About DPIIT IPR Chair
Department for Promotion of Industries and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India, launched a Scheme for Pedagogy & Research in IPRs for Holistic Education & Academia (SPRIHA) in the year 2016 under which IPR Chairs have been set up in select universities and academic institutes. This was in accordance National IPR Policy launched by the Government of India in 2016, which proclaims, as one of the objectives under section 7.2 as, “Strengthen IP Chairs in educational institutes of higher learning to provide quality teaching and research, develop teaching capacity and curricula and evaluate their work on performance based criteria."
MNLU Mumbai has been selected by the DPIIT as one of the 12 universities/organizations for setting up IPR Chairs in the country.
DPIIT has formulated the norms for establishing and functioning of the IPR Chair under SPRIHA. Accordingly, the University has appointed Dr. W. M. Dhumane, Former Senior Joint Controller of Patents and Designs as IPR Chair Professor with effect from 10th June 2020.
Objectives and Functions
The objectives for creation and institution of IPR Chairs under SPRIHA are to encourage the study of, education in and research on Intellectual Property Rights (IPR),as well as to promote outreach in IPRs, as elaborated below:
- Promoting IP education by introducing IPR course at undergraduate level, post-graduate degree/diploma course on IPR, Certificate courses in IPR and Distance learning/Online courses on IPR;
- Foster research in IPR-related matters and highlight the policy relevance thereof;
- Conducting Studies commissioned by DPIIT
- Creation of IPR knowledge database, repository of case-studies on IPR matters etc.;
- Develop, formulate and collate inputs/ recommendations of industry, practitioners and academia on IPR issues for policy makers;
- Providing Scholarships for conducting research in new and emerging IPR are as of interests;
- Preparation of repertoire of resources/tool kit/guidance/instruction materials for various levels of IPR Courses;
- Facilitate filing of IPR applications to further strengthen IP as a key driver for India's knowledge driven economy;
- Focus on research on industry-academia mutual relationship and cooperation as well as identify the communication gaps between academia and industries in effective technology sharing/joint research etc.
Bio of IPR Chair Professor
Dr. W. M. Dhumane is M. Sc. (Chemistry)and Ph. D. in Chemistry from Nagpur University and LL.B. from Mumbai University.
Before joining the MNLU Mumbai as IPR Chair Professor, Dr. Dhumane was associated with Patent Office, Intellectual Property Office (IPO), Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India for 20 years. He joined Patent Office in August 2000 as Deputy Controller of Patents & Designs through UPSC and functioned as Controller of Patents and Designs (as statutory authority for grant/refusal of patents under Patents Act) and, subsequently ascended to become Senior Joint Controller of Patents and Designs, the highest post in Indian Patent Office and retired on 31-05-2012.He functioned as Head of Patent Offices at Chennai and Mumbai and also as Head of the Office of Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks, Mumbai.
Prior to joining the Patent Office, Dr. Dhumane had worked as Mineralogist in Mineral Exploration Corporation Ltd. Nagpur (A Government of India Enterprise) up to July 2000. He functioned as In-charge of Analytical and R & D wing and completed several R & D projects for the organization. He was also a Member of Sub-committee of Indian Standards Institution (ISI) on minerals, Member of Board of studies in Chemistry, Nagpur University and Member of the Committee of Laxminarayan Institute of Technology (LIT) Nagpur.
After his retirement from Intellectual Property Office (IPO),recognizing his valuable contribution for bringing in development and reforms in Intellectual Property Office (IPO) ,he was appointed as IPR Consultant by DPIIT in IPO from 1st June 2012 and he continued as consultant in IPO Mumbai till his joining MNLU Mumbai on 10th June 2020.
Ms. Gunjan Deshpande is engaged as a Research Assistant at the DPIIT- IPR Chair, MNLU Mumbai. She completed her B.A.,LL.B. and LL.M. from Savitribai Phule Pune University. Her research interests are Science & Technology laws and IPR.
Ms. Poorva Sharma is engaged as a Research Assistant at the DPIIT- IPR Chair, MNLU Mumbai. She completed her BA.LLB from ILS Law College Pune and LL.M from Department of Law, Savitribai Phule Pune University. Her research interests are Science & Technology laws and IPR.She has previously worked as a Junior Analyst at the Project Planning and Implementation Division, Quality Council of India (QCI) under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Delhi.
Report of the Activities conducted by DPIIT IPR Chair, MNLU Mumbai and Centre for Research in IP, MNLU Mumbai - Dec. 2020 to Mar. 2021
Interim Report of the Activities conducted by DPIIT IPR Chair, MNLU Mumbai and Centre for Research in IP, MNLU Mumbai - Apr. 2021 to Sept. 2021